April 29, 2024

5 Things I Learned My First Week at Rutgers–Camden

| Written by Arianna F. |

Let’s be honest, starting something new is never easy. But do not fear, I’m here to tell you about a few things I learned in my first week of college so you aren’t left completely in the dark.

1. Every day you’ll see both a familiar face and a new face in passing.

The Rutgers–Camden campus makes it so easy for you to transition to this new chapter of your life. Whether you are a commuter and drive, a commuter and take the train, or live on campus, you’ll always see a friendly face here. I take the train, and I always recognize someone on my way to campus. From the PATCO City Hall station, it’s only about a 3-minute walk to campus. In that time I see at least five people I know. If you haven’t already taken a tour here and realized this, it’s easy to navigate our campus. From the Campus Center to the library is only about a two-minute walk. From the Towers to Armitage Hall? It’s about 4 minutes at the most. Walking from the gym to the Fine Arts Building takes 1 minute, tops! After your first week here, you’ll be a pro at navigating the campus and realize how often you see familiar faces (which, in turn, means you’ll become a familiar face, too).

2. Getting a job on campus is a great idea.

I 10/10 would recommend getting a job on campus. I got my first job on campus through one of the career fairs. As a commuter student, I find it was really convenient to work here because I’d come to campus for class and then, instead of going home, I spent my time wisely and earned some extra money by spending some hours working. There are services like RaptorLink and the Career Center that can also help you look for a job on (or off) campus.

RaptorLink is an amazing tool that’s for Rutgers students and alumni only. You can upload your resume and see internship and job opportunities both on and off campus! The Career Center is a wonderful office located on the lower floor of the Campus Center. The Career Center provides career coaching and counseling, interview techniques, and on-campus recruiting. The staff at the Career Center organize the job and internship fairs on campus! These fairs are an awesome way to see what companies you can apply for internships with and what jobs are available for someone studying in your field. The advisers in the Career Center are also a great resource to go to for feedback on your resume or curriculum vitae!

3. The Starbucks line gets really long.

Yes, yes yes; the rumors of needing Starbucks in college are accurate, at least for most students here on campus. Thankfully, we have a Starbucks conveniently located in the Campus Center; however, there are some tips you may want to know in order to conquer the line like a pro:

Do not—I repeat—do not get Starbucks during free period. I know it makes the most sense to go at this time because you don’t have a class (all of the students share this hour block for free time and lunch), and maybe you missed your morning dose of energy, but you’ll be standing in a long line if you do. Figure out what times during the day work with your schedule when the line isn’t so crazy, and you’ll be in and out in no time. If anything, check the Starbucks Cam! When you download the Rutgers–Camden app, there’s a tab that links you to a live-feed of the Starbucks line.

Step 1: To find the Starbucks Cam, open up your Rutgers–Camden app.

Step 2: Scroll down and you will see a section titled “Student Life.” That’s where you’ll find the Starbucks Cam.

Step 3: When you tap the Starbucks Cam, you will be directed to a live feed of the Starbucks line!

4. Learn to leave your bubble.

I know it might be nerve-wracking—you know, entering a new school with new people—and there will be new experiences waiting for you. However, Rutgers–Camden makes it really easy for you to transition to your new life here. There is always something to do or something to join! If you want to look up clubs to join or just attend events, you can always check out RULinked. It is a great way to stay involved! Forcing yourself to get out of your comfort zone helps you become more outgoing, make more friends, and get involved.

5. Classes aren’t scary and you should get to know your professors.

Okay, just between you and me (and whoever else reads this), a lot of what your high school teachers told you about college was just to scare you. Do not be scared or anxious. The professors here are so intelligent and kind. They really care about you and whether or not you are genuinely learning the material. They’ll do whatever they can to understand your situation and help you earn a good grade in their class.