April 28, 2024

Meet Jasmine: Rutgers—Camden Nursing Student

My name is Jasmine Yasay and I’m a sophomore nursing student at Rutgers—Camden. I am a member of the Filipino League of Innovative Pinoy Students and a sister of Sigma Delta Tau. I chose Rutgers—Camden because of the low cost due to the scholarships offered to me and the great nursing program! The nursing building is completely remodeled and newly built in 2017. Taking the open house and tours, I was able to see the campus and completely fell in love with the Nursing Building. There are simulation labs that imitate doctors’ offices to make the scenarios feel real to nursing students. There are even mannequins that can breathe, have pulses, and can talk! Rutgers—Camden has great technologies to prepare nursing students for real-life scenarios.

Truth be told, I wanted to become a nurse at first because both my parents are nurses. There was no life-changing or inspirational reason for me to become one until this past summer which made me really open my eyes and see a different point of view when it comes to nursing. Half of my summer went towards taking care of my dad who had a colectomy surgery which resulted in him receiving a colostomy bag. The aftercare came down to me as I was the only one available. I was the one to change his bag, help him get up, and make sure he took his medicine at the right time. Most days and nights were rough but it really was rewarding whenever he smiled and thanked me for helping him in times of need. Long story short, I got to experience a little sneak peek of what most nurses do and I really enjoyed doing so. It makes me want to go out into the real world and help more people and put a smile on their faces. I don’t really have an exact plan for the future, but I plan to go back to school and get my Master’s degree. There are so many options when majoring in nursing. I can really do anything in this career field whether I choose to work in a hospital or clinical setting. At Rutgers—Camden, I am able to explore more opportunities for me and learn from knowledgeable Nursing professors. I have so many connections from this school that will help prepare me for the future.

Written by Jasmine Y., a Rutgers—Camden Undergraduate Student and Raptor Ambassador.