May 4, 2024

Faculty Feature: Meet Dr. Cavanaugh

Faculty Feature: Meet Dr. Cavanaugh
| Written by Alexis K. |

When you step foot on Rutgers–Camden campus, you will find a warm and welcoming environment that you should take full advantage of. High school teachers may have told you that professors in college aren’t really going to care about your success, but that is definitely not the case here at Rutgers–Camden. You will meet professors who want you to thrive, are willing to help, and may even turn into one of your biggest inspirations. I met my absolute favorite professor, Dr. Courtenay Cavanaugh, the fall semester of my sophomore year. I was so excited to take her course on Abnormal Psychology because it would bring me closer to my interests in mental disorders and how to address them; however, because it was with a professor we’d never heard of, my friends and I were a bit worried.

I remember sitting in Dr. Cavanaugh’s first class of the semester; she captivated us with her experience and her obvious love for and knowledge in the field. As the semester went on, her class maintained it’s spot as my favorite for many reasons, including but not limited to her realness about graduate school, her stories from working with patients, and class discussions.

This upcoming semester will mark one year since I first met Dr. Cavanaugh. She has not only become my role model, she has done so much to help me succeed. She put me into contact with an awesome internship program at our brand new VPVA Office on campus, has appointed me Psi Chi President, and has offered me a position in her lab to conduct research.

Dr. Cavanaugh and me at the 2018 Psi Chi Induction Ceremony

I asked her answer some general questions, and her answers demonstrate that professors are people, just like you and me, and are not scary or unapproachable.

Tell us about yourself. Where are you are from; where did you go to school and what did you study; what are some of your hobbies?

I am a clinical psychologist who studies violence against women and its impact on women’s health. This will be my ninth year teaching at Rutgers–Camden. I grew up in the Biggest Little City in the World, Reno, Nevada. I completed my B.A. in Psychology and my B.A. Spanish at the University of Oregon. I received my Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the California School of Professional Psychology–San Francisco (an APA-accredited program) after completing an APA-accredited internship at Bellevue Hospital/New York University. Then, I completed two postdoctoral fellowships at Yale University and Johns Hopkins University where I studied violence against women, mental health problems (including substance use/abuse), and HIV risk behavior.

I enjoy playing with my kids, running, hiking, and yoga.

How did you end up working at Rutgers–Camden?

I accepted my tenure-track position in the Department of Psychology at Rutgers–Camden because it allowed me to further my professional goals and live in one of my favorite parts of the East Coast.

What do you love about the student population and campus?

I love that our student population is culturally diverse and that the campus has an intimate feel.

Why do you love teaching?

I love engaging students in subjects for which I am passionate and helping students advance by developing their skills, clarifying their goals, and challenging them. Also, I enjoy teaching because it is challenging. It causes me to constantly grow and learn from my students.

What is one piece of advice you would give the next incoming class.

Get to know your classmates and professors.

If you see Dr. C. on campus, say hello! And of course, if you are a psychology student, try to take one of her courses! Remember, professors here want to help, love this campus, and want you to succeed!