May 10, 2024

Choosing My Major

Choosing My Major
| Written by Grace M. |

At the time you’re starting college, you may know exactly what you are going to major in or you may have no idea. I started college positive that I wanted to become a veterinarian and declared myself a biology major on a pre-vet route. However, before classes even started, I changed my major to health sciences. Now this doesn’t sound like a huge change but I heard that having a major other than a biology major could make you stand out on applications for veterinarian school.

I thought I was set, taking my prerequisites and shadowing at a local veterinarian clinic… but, sophomore year, I changed again. I was doubting my certainty about wanting to become a veterinarian and decided to go back to being a biology major. I thought a biology major would give me a broader range in career choice. At the time, I wasn’t aware of all of the careers you can go into being a health science major. I started researching more and more into the veterinarian field; the graduate programs, the cost, the prerequisites. After further investigation, by the end of fall semester, I decided I no longer wanted to become a veterinarian. This realization was a huge blow to my life plan! I am someone who likes to map out my life and when something changes, it’s hard for me to accept that change.

By the second semester of sophomore year and I had no idea what I was doing anymore. I was worried, (but honestly it was for no reason; I had time). I started researching careers in healthcare; I knew at least that I wanted to be in that field. I stumbled upon physical therapy and went to shadow a physical therapist. I fell in love. I knew that this is what I wanted to do. I changed back to health science major at the end of my sophomore year. Mainly because the major caters very well to those allied health jobs, but also because I didn’t want to take organic chemistry. I am currently in the second semester of my junior year and am preparing to apply for Doctor of Physical Therapy programs. I still worry sometimes that things will not work out as planned, but the takeaway is that you should keep searching and looking until you find something you click with and be open to change.

Your journey in finding your major and career choice might not go like mine. You might already know what you want to do but do not be afraid if you start doubting it. My advice is to do your research about the career you desire and, if you can, shadow or dip your toes in that job. Reading about what the job entails and witnessing it with your own eyes are two very different things. In-person experience will help you decide if the job is something you definitely want to do. Never be afraid to try something completely different from your major. I have a friend who transferred from the business school to becoming a biology major. Anything is feasible, just keep an open mind and discuss your ideas and plans with your advisor