April 27, 2024

Mayhem in Majors and Minors

Mayhem in Majors and Minors

When it came time to begin my college career, I was only partially aware of what direction I wanted to take and what precise outcome I was pursuing. I had already taken some time to avoid classes and coursework, spending my first three years out of high school working, traveling, making precious memories and some truly devastating mistakes. With a greater understanding of the “real world” and after having sampled a good amount of differing experiences, I then knew exactly what I wanted my future to look like.

Or so I thought.

Well Laid Plan(s)

A bucket of pastel coloured chalk on a brick patio.
I am not able to share photos of the children I cared for, but I often took photos of our activities at the center!

At nineteen, I found a job at a local early learning center – more commonly known as a daycare – as an Assistant Teacher. I was a lucky hire, who just so happened to stumble across the job posting on Facebook and secured an interview the day of. The only relevant experience I had included years of babysitting for close family and friends, but I had always found happiness in caring for children, and I excelled in no time at all. I found myself working in multiple classrooms throughout the center and occasionally stepping in for Lead Teachers despite my lacking credentials. I had started this job on Halloween of 2016, but only lasted a year before finances forced me to move on.

To this day, I regard this job as the most fun, most enjoyable, and most rewarding I’ve ever had. It opened my eyes to a fact that I had forgotten – I genuinely loved and enjoyed being a caretaker. And so, when I began the search for a college in which I could pursue a Bachelor’s Degree, I was looking specifically for those which offered an Early Childhood Education Program.

You may have realized this already, but Rutgers–Camden does not actually offer such a program. Which leads me directly to Plan B.

Plan B. Or C. Or….

After leaving my Assistant Teacher position, I came to work as an Assistant Manager at a family owned Italian restaurant, serving tables and handling additional work as necessary. Somehow, by some stroke of luck, I also happened to be working with someone who knew a great deal about Rutgers–Camden. Often, when I discussed my desire to return to school and my difficulties in finding an affordable education, my coworker would cut in with a wealth of advice and motivation. Eventually, I applied to the college that she guided me towards, and I haven’t regretted it yet.

However, I came to find that I could not pursue the program I had been searching for, as it was not offered on the Camden campus. I was torn – but the pros largely outweighed the cons and I decided I need only tweak my goals and pursue something similar. At first, my plan was to double major in English and Childhood Studies and then apply to the Masters in Education program after my undergraduate years, so that I could become a K-12 English Teacher. Perfect.

However, just after completing my first semester, I happened to discover a program led by the EACE called Road Trips to the Real World. This particular program was designed to connect students with a variety of employers across the eastern coast, and I took interest in their given opportunity to visit the New York City offices of Penguin Random House, a well known and long standing publishing company. I was quickly enthralled by the industry at large, and my Plan B shifted once again. I now considered majoring in English alone, and minoring in Childhood Studies. This way, I could apply to an editorial position within an imprint that specialized in the publishing of children’s books come the end of my undergraduate career. And if I couldn’t find a job within the industry come graduation? Well, I would apply for the Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing program, of course! Everything seemed wonderfully set in stone.

My very confused looking boyfriend, studying with me at our local Barnes & Noble.

And yet, my world was upended once again – two years into my undergraduate degree, my partner received his BSN. Witnessing his experiences in the last few years of his degree, keeping him company during long study sessions, and discussing what may be waiting for him in his future reminded me of the times throughout high school in which I mused the thought of becoming a nurse myself. When my partner got wind of this, he poked and prodded until I spilled, talking all about how I’d taken a special interest in shows and books and journals that discussed Obstetrics and Gynecology. Talking so excitedly about such things, and receiving such an outpouring of support and motivation in doing so, pushed me to rethink my plans once again.

And so, Plan C: I would keep my English major, but would also minor in both Childhood Studies and Health Sciences. With the added minor, I would be able to complete the prerequisites needed to apply for the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program after the completion of my B.A. in English. And if, in due time, I realized this wasn’t the right choice for me, my previous goals and considerations would still be on the table.

How Do We Decide?

You may have noticed that what I described above was messy. Incredibly messy. But, when you’re attempting to conceptualize and prepare for an uncertain future, things aren’t always going to be pretty. I’ve found that the best way to guide yourself in making these difficult, quite large decisions, is to consider the following: your passion, your ability, and your goals for the future

I know myself fairly well, and I know that if I do not care strongly for a subject, I will have difficulty completing work and attending classes. As such, I have stuck with those majors and minors that most correlate with my interests, such as writing, reading, and caretaking. I am also well aware of my capabilities and my limitations, which helps me decide just how much I can take on academically at a given time and for the long haul. One major and two minors, I have decided (after a great deal of thought), are within my ability – as is the pursuit of a graduate degree, if or when it comes to it. I also now know, after an incredible ordeal with introspection and having made overall progress regarding my well-being, what I want to bring into my life post-education. Personally, I am most hoping for happiness, stability, and security.

Now, will I most definitely apply for the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program? I don’t know. Will I apply to the Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing Program instead? Perhaps. Will I throw it all to the wind and jump straight into the publishing industry after finishing my undergrad? There’s a chance!

The truth is, even after pouring over my options and taking a grand amount of time to sift through considerations and fantasies, the decision I’ve made once may not be the decision I stick to. And the same stands for each and every student. We are fluid creatures, ever changing and constantly evolving, and our pursuits are likely to change just as often as the seasons. 

Making the Most of It

So. Maybe, you have thought about your passions, and you have thought about your abilities, and you have thought about your goals…and you’re still a little lost. What exactly should you be doing? The answer is: the most you can be doing. 

This may seem incredibly typical and overused, but it’s true. The best way to approach your education when you may not have a solid destination in mind involves a whole lot of stuff. Fill your free time (if you have it) with club activities related to your hobbies and interests. Do the same for your classes and choose those which sound like they’ll be fun, or new, or exciting. Take a page from my book, perhaps, and research the ways in which your ideal careers may overlap, and how you can combine majors or minors to build the education that’s right for you.

It is only with experience that you come to realize what you are happy doing for yourself and what you are happy doing as a career. Swap things up a few times if need be, make changes and take risks, and don’t be afraid to realize that your best laid plans may be disrupted by a little mayhem.

Written by Brittany C., a Rutgers—Camden Undergraduate Student and Editor in Chief.