May 8, 2024

Best Study Strategies and Tips

Best Study Strategies and Tips

One thing I always have to remind myself at the start of a new semester is that every class is different. As a nursing student, a lot of the classes I’ve taken before this semester have been pretty foundational. We learn, we test, we go. It wasn’t until this semester, the second semester of my sophomore year, that I’ve had to apply a lot of what I’ve learned in years previous. 

Each semester I usually lay out a plan for how I’ll study. I write down every assignment date in my syllabi on a big whiteboard calendar, write them all down in an agenda book, and even keep a checklist on the corner of my laptop with a few assignments that are priorities for that week. The way I study depends on the type of class. For the sciences, I try to read and review. For more writing-based classes, I do my best to spread the assignments out over a few days, that way I’m not sitting in front of a blank screen with the clock ticking.

It’s really a matter of finding out what works best for you. Some students study best by reading their textbook and taking notes, while others find it most helpful to make outlines and flash-cards. I always find it helpful to make flash cards or quizlets when there’s a lot of terminology. However, I’ve had quite a few professors that base their exams on the textbook, so reading, taking notes, and re-reading and re-reading those notes is what I find myself doing for courses like that.

There are a ton of sites online and videos on YouTube that can help you to study, and explain concepts that may have been confusing during lectures. Ultimately, it depends on the course you’re taking. Pathophysiology (which I was required to take first-semester of my sophomore year as a nursing major, however I know that has changed a few times in the past few years) is a very difficult course. The book is the size of several large bricks and the exams all have a lot of material that is fair game. My professor included links to many videos in his powerpoints. While he didn’t play these videos in class, they were extremely helpful in grasping the concepts when I was reviewing for the exams at home. 

Some professors set you up with resources like study guides or a list of key points to focus on, but that isn’t always the case. The Learning Center (which is located on the second floor of Armitage Hall) has peer-tutors. Tutoring is FREE. The tutors are students who have taken the course before and done well, so they really know what to focus on while they’re reviewing with you. I didn’t take advantage of tutoring until my second semester, when I took Clinical Aspects of Human Genetics. After my friend and I met with our tutor once, we both felt much better with the material.  The tutors usually bring a binder with the notes they took from whichever class it is you’re there for, and they’ve even told me how they’ve studied for classes, which has been really helpful with the more difficult ones I’ve taken so far.

For me, I find it helpful to condense the material as much as possible. This way, I can really hone in on what it is I need to remember. Not only for the exam, but actually remember, as a lot of information taught in courses your freshman year will come back at one point or another throughout your college career.

It would be really helpful if this blog post had a “study hack” or a “do it this way and you’ll always be successful” piece to it, but studying is different for every person. If you’re not sure where to start, there are so many different resources on campus that can be used to set yourself up for success. Talk to your professors, study with other students, and set yourself up for success!

Written by Katherine C., a Rutgers—Camden Undergraduate Student and Raptor Ambassador.