May 10, 2024

You Can Take Summer Courses Without Ruining Your Break

| Written by Victoria B. |

Last summer, I decided to take two summer courses because I was six credits behind in order to be on track to graduate within four years, which is a goal I set for my education. I was hesitant at first because I thought taking summer courses wouldn’t allow me to enjoy my summer with my friends and family. Even if you’re not behind but just want to get ahead in credits, taking one or two courses in the summer will help a lot and won’t necessarily take up a lot of your time!

Here are some tips if you are considering taking summer courses.

• Online classes are your friend! Online classes are pretty flexible, so I was able to get my work done from home.
  • The summer sessions are broken down into shorter periods; so, instead of a 14-week course, courses are seven weeks long.
  • Do as much as you can during windows of free-time, chipping away at it little-by-little, so you don’t have to worry all the time about your coursework.
  • Sometimes, you can take an in-person summer course at a county college closer to your home if it is not offered at Rutgers–Camden. Be sure to always check that the credits will transfer, first.
  • Think about whether or not it will actually benefit you to take summer courses before signing up.
  • Remember: It’s okay to miss out on one or two activities that your friends or family are doing over the summer! You’re being a responsible student and, in the end, you won’t regret a few minor sacrifices you made.