April 28, 2024

The Honors College Experience

The Honors College Experience

At Rutgers-Camden a lot of educational opportunities are provided to each and every student, and upon admission, every single student is considered for Rutgers-Camden’s Honors College. The Rutgers-Camden Honors College is organized to gather the strongest academic students within our institution with the goals of supporting these students’ academic achievement, encouraging engagement with the communities of Rutgers and Camden, New Jersey, and also harboring an area for fun and connection with your fellow peers in the Honors College. Going into my First Year at Rutgers-Camden, I received admission to the Honors College along with my admission to the university, and my acceptance into the program is a decision I do not regret!

Upon my acceptance to the Honors College program, students were shown the requirements to remain within the Honors College program, consisting of one Honors event, one service activity, and three campus activities OR one campus commitment every semester, as well as mandatory Honors College courses, and academic enhancements/academic commitments Honors College students must partake in before graduation. At first, I was startled by the lengthy list of requirements I needed to stay within the program; however, I realized that the Honors College’s true goal was one thing: to maximize Honors College student’s college experience and academic success.

As the end of my first semester approaches, I am extremely glad that the Honors College pushed me to complete these requirements, for they have helped me grow as an individual and as a student. Currently, I have attended Honors Events with a variety of different speakers, informing me on a variety of different topics, I attended a variety of different events on campus, allowing me to connect to my college and the community of peers around me, and I am currently working with my fellow Honors College peers to help combat period poverty in the community of Camden and the entire world.

While the educational and individual opportunities within the Honors College are bountiful, one of the biggest perks of the Honors College in the beginning of my college journey is the connections and friendships I have formed. Through the variety of different Honors College events, as well as the mandated Honors College courses, students are provided with the opportunities to interact with their peers and form close friendships with them as well. From the beginning of my college experience at Rutgers’ Raptor Welcome, I had instantly made connections with people in the Honors College, and these people remain my friends to this day, due to our close bond formed through Honors College events and our Honors College course. Overall, my experience in the Honors College thus far has been extremely positive and holds plenty of benefits toward maximizing my college experience, educational opportunities, and my individual growth.

By Alex Brasberger