April 28, 2024

Why I Chose Rutgers—Camden

Why I Chose Rutgers—Camden

During my senior year of high school, I tore my ACL and was unable to walk effectively for a while. This made it difficult for me to tour schools so I did a lot online but Rutgers—Camden was one that I actually toured in person. I had been considering Rutgers—Camden because I knew I did not want to go far, I wanted a smaller atmosphere, and I qualified for a scholarship so I registered for an Open House. Once I attended and actually walked the campus, I fell in love. It felt so homey and the students were so welcoming and had all great things to say. Here’s my list of why I ultimately chose Rutgers—Camden.

1. Financial Aid: Rutgers—Camden offered me a scholarship as well as Bridging the Gap. No other university or college had funding quite like Bridging the Gap and that made a big difference in cost for me. You can find more information about Bridging the Gap here.
  2. Small Campus: It takes about 7-10 minutes to walk on foot from one end of campus to the other and classes average about 20-25 students. I knew by going here I would be able to get the help and connections I would want and need from my professors. You also see someone you know walking anywhere on campus. This makes it feel like you truly part of a community that cares for you.
  3. Location: The campus sits 5-10 minutes away from Philadelphia, 2.5 hours from Washington DC, and 3 hours from NYC. This gives optimal opportunity for travel, internships, and job opportunities.
  4. Diversity: Rutgers—Camden places a large value on diversity with specific offices dedicated to making the LGBTQIA+ community and all racial-ethnic groups feel welcomed, included, and safe on campus. I really appreciate this integration because you get to learn about/from people with different backgrounds and experiences than you. It makes for an enriched learning environment.
  5. Research: Rutgers—Camden is an R2 research university meaning that they conduct a lot of research that is at the forefront of science. I personally got to participate in psychology research all four years at Rutgers, got to be published in a research journal, and got to present at two professional conferences all while gaining credits. These same opportunities are available for science majors, sociology, psychology, and many more. You can find these opportunities by talking to professors, academic advisors, or even the career center.

Rutgers has been my home for four years and I am sad to be saying goodbye. There have been amazing opportunities and experiences that Rutgers—Camden made easy for me to do. I hope you all find as much love for Rutgers as I did!

Written by Alexis K., a Rutgers—Camden Undergraduate Student and Raptor Ambassador.