May 11, 2024

What to Bring to Live On Campus

What to Bring to Live On Campus

I have lived on our beautiful Rutgers—Camden campus for two straight years. I live about an hour away from campus which is the main reason why I decided to live on campus. It turned out to be one of the best choices I’ve made in my college career. I can leave my room 10 minutes before class and get there with plenty of time to spare. Living on campus is truly an experience everyone should have.

My first year I lived in the Camden Apartments but my second year I was hired as a Resident Assistant for the Office of Housing and Residence Life. There I was assigned to the Camden Towers which is designed for first year students. Before you move in, the Housing Office gives you a list of items you are and are not allowed to bring with you to live on campus. That list was extremely helpful during the summer when I was buying all the things I would need to live on campus. It truly was an exciting time because I was moving out for the first time! There are some items I wish I didn’t buy such as throw pillows and an alarm (we have an alarm on our phones), but here are some helpful things I think you should bring with you to move on campus that no one really told me about:

1. A Bed Caddy: A bed caddy is like a little pouch or sometimes a little tray that attaches to the side of your bed. You can put your chargers, your laptop, and some of your books in there. It is extremely helpful because when I put my essentials in that bed caddy, I don’t have to leave my bed to get it or leave it on the floor. Some beds on campus can also be tall, so if something falls off you are going to make that really tough journey off your bed to pick it up, whereas if you had a bed caddy you can simply leave it in there and easily retrieve it.
  2. A Hamper: I recommend a hamper with wheels. Although the laundry room is conveniently located on the 1st floor of every residence hall, it’s still helpful to have wheels on that bad boy so you’re not lugging it around everywhere. If wheels aren’t really your thing just make sure it’s durable so nothing breaks and falls out.
  3. Rain gear: An umbrella, rain boots, a simple rain jacket, or if you’re looking for a more fashionable look- a rain poncho. You should’ve seen the look on my face when I walked outside to go to class and it was pouring and the only thing I had was a T-shirt, jeans, and vans.
  4. A Mattress Topper: There is a difference between a mattress topper and a mattress pad. A mattress pad is like a thin covering while a mattress topper is a thick (could also be memory foam) layer. Once I got a mattress topper I slept like a baby. Mattress toppers are a little on the expensive side but it’s one of the best investments I’ve ever made.
  5. Plastic Storage Bins: This is really handy when you’re not the neatest person. You can keep your respective belongings inside and organized. This is also helpful during move-in and move-out so you aren’t carrying every little thing.
  6. A Long Powerstrip: Make sure the powerstrip has a surge protector (on/off switch), because that’s pretty much the only one you’re allowed to bring! A long powerstrip is handy because you want to be able to move around without being limited to an area near the wall plug.
  7. A Filtered Water Pitcher: I stopped buying single use plastic water bottles for multiple reasons, number one was for the turtles, but also it was becoming costly and a struggle to buy and carry up to my dorm. When I bought a Brita water pitcher, I had all the water I needed.
  8. Amazon Student Prime: When I signed up for Amazon Student Prime it started out as just the free trial. I saw how extremely useful it was when I needed my books, school supplies, or even food. Amazon Student Prime offers a lot of benefits for students to take advantage of. I use it to buy/rent my books as well as cleaning supplies for my dorm.
  9. Wall Decoration: Having a simple flag on your wall can really change the atmosphere in your room. This may seem unnecessary but you want to be able to live in a room where you are comfortable. I had a simple Rutgers flag on my wall. Others had tapestries, my friends hung up different license plates or even sports jerseys. (As long as your wall decoration does not take up more than ⅓ of the wall).
  10. Lysol Wipes: Keeping your space clean and sanitized is a major key. Keeping your space organized can keep you healthy and reduce the clutter. As students who don’t have the time to get sick, we should try our best to prevent it. Clean your living space!

Written by Philip E., a Rutgers—Camden Undergraduate Student and Raptor Ambassador.