May 4, 2024

A Special Place in My Heart

A Special Place in My Heart

As my time here at Rutgers University—Camden comes to an end this coming May 2021, I will cherish the past four years for the rest of my life. Soon I will be graduating from the College of Arts and Sciences with a major in Health Sciences and two minors in Leadership and Psychology. It’s so strange not scrambling for my fall semester classes and to think that this time next year I won’t be calculating my final course averages. Weird moments to miss right? But it really was the little things about my time here at Rutgers University—Camden that made my college experience unforgettable.

Raptor Ambassadors Arianna F., Emily M., and Cris P.

I’m going to miss the people of Rutgers University—Camden because everyone that I have interacted with in the past four years has contributed to my growth and success. Alumnus Myiah Gatling gave me my first campus tour, which was the catalyst to my love for the campus. Vice Chancellor Craig Westman started the Bridging the Gap program, which was a huge support in allowing me to put myself through college. Professor Jamie Duneav and Professor Emily Wood care immensely about student well-being and learning, which allowed me to have a healthy learning experience and positive outlook on their courses to the point that I willingly chose to take more than one course with them. Alumnus, and fellow Raptor Ambassador, Grace Mullee became my lifelong friend, which allowed me to understand what true friendship is. The list of people goes on and on, however although I will miss the people of Rutgers University—Camden, I am eternally grateful for all the connections I made because it shaped me into the person I am today.

I’m going to miss the events run by students and faculty at Rutgers University—Camden because it provided me with unique experiences that I don’t think I could have gotten anywhere else. When I ran Mr. District V with the Filipino League of Innovative Pinoy Students, I met with executive boards from universities across the Northeast allowing me to develop my communication and networking skills. Attending Multicultural Night immersed me further into the university’s diverse culture, which allowed me to appreciate how special and unique all cultures are. Thanks to the Health and Wellness center, I was able to experience gong therapy as a way to destress. Thanks to the Raptor Ambassadors, I watched Kevin Hart, attended the Phillies grand slam game, and danced to Diplo. While I’m going to miss the easily accessible and unique events, I can truly say that I had the best college experience by learning more about my interests to find more of those experiences outside of campus.

As I transition from a current student to an Alumnus, I know that I will forever be a Scarlet Raptor. And Rutgers University—Camden will always hold a special place in my heart no matter where life takes me next.

Written by Arianna F., Rutgers—Camden Undergraduate Student and Raptor Ambassador.