April 27, 2024

Studying Tips for Finals Week

Studying Tips for Finals Week

Finals week is always one of the most stressful times of the year for college students, but here are some tips for studying to help get you through it!

1. Get Organized

Organization and time management are two of the most important things when it comes to getting through college. As finals quickly approach, take the time to plan out your days in your calendar. I like to add what content I want to study per day and what I hope to accomplish. A good place to start is by looking at the chapter objectives found in your textbook, and any syllabi or study guides your professor may provide.

• Figure Out Your Learning Style

There are many different types of learning styles out there, so it’s important you figure out what works for you! For all the visual learners out there, you may benefit from looking up videos about the content you are covering. Auditory/verbal learners may like study groups to talk about the notes and bounce ideas off each other. Google can be your best friend to look up strategies for your specific learning style!

• Get a Study Group Together

Study groups are a great way to see things from a different perspective. Sometimes a new perspective is exactly what you need to understand a topic you may have been unsure about. When you have a study group, everyone brings something to the table. Groups are also a great way to talk things through, and sometimes that’s all you need to grasp the content. Plus, it’s a way to make friends, and remind yourself you are not alone during exam season!

• Find What Helps You Focus

As great as study groups are, you won’t be with them every time you study. Therefore, you need to figure out what helps you concentrate. Some people need complete silence, which we have great on-campus resources for that! Both the Law building and main library have silent study zones for those who like the quiet. Personally, I am not one of those people. I have found that listening to instrumental or classical music while I study helps me focus! I once read an article that supported the theory that listening to classical music when studying helps increase concentration and memory. The key is to find out what works for you and stick with it!