May 14, 2024

Advice To Your First Year Self

Advice To Your First Year Self

Getting a Job on Campus is a Great Idea

I 10/10 would recommend getting a job on campus. I got my first job on campus through one of the career fairs. As a commuter student, I find it was really convenient to work here because I’d come to campus for class and then, instead of going home, I spent my time wisely and earned some extra money by spending some hours working. There are services like RaptorLink and the Career Center that can also help you look for a job on (or off) campus.

Learn to Leave Your Bubble

I know it might be nerve-wracking—you know, entering a new school with new people—and there will be new experiences waiting for you. However, Rutgers–Camden makes it really easy for you to transition to your new life here. There is always something to do or something to join! If you want to look up clubs to join or just attend events, you can always check out RULinked. It is a great way to stay involved! Forcing yourself to get out of your comfort zone helps you become more outgoing, make more friends, and get involved.

You Don’t Have to Live on Campus to Get the “College Experience”

Many people are set on believing that the only way to get the “real college experience” is to live on campus. I disagree. The only way to get the “real college experience” is to get involved. Participating in clubs, going to events, and volunteering are the three things that allow you to create lasting memories during your time in college.

Stay Organized

Planners. Calendars. Reminders. Spreadsheets. Any little thing that you do that keeps you organized, do it. It’s easy to drown in all the classes, clubs, and responsibilities that you have going on in a day, so it’s important to stay on top of things.

• Something that I like to do is create a table of everything I have going on in a typical week and set it as my lock screen on my phone. This way, I am forced to stay in the loop of where I am supposed to be at what time of the day and it keeps me in check.
  • Once I get a syllabus from a class, I like to put all the important dates both in my physical calendar and in my phone’s calendar. This way, I will get reminders a week or a few days before just in case I forget and the physical inputting of all the information helps me retain it.
  • Something else I like to do is print out the calendar months for the semester and fill out all the important dates there as well. Then I put it in the outer plastic insert of my binder. This way, every time I take out my binder, I can physically see what I have coming up.

Make the Most of It

At the end of the day, make the most of your time here. You are spending money to get an education, so go to class. You will be here for a few years, to make sure you are happy with what you’re doing while you’re here. It’s corny to always hear, but time really does fly. And before you know it, you’ll be approaching your senior year, but it feels like you just started your college experience. Don’t take this time for granted. So enjoy every single moment here.

Written by Arianna F., a Rutgers—Camden Undergraduate Student and Raptor Ambassador.