May 12, 2024

How I Made Friends on Campus

How I Made Friends on Campus

Editor’s Note: This article was written and submitted prior to the announcement of a remote semester. Despite the non-traditional environment we have been navigating thus far, we do not expect this situation to become the future norm. As such, we expect this advice and inspiration to remain helpful and encouraging to our students.

Making friends during a new chapter of life always seems to be nerve wracking — at least to me. Whether it be a new school, new job, or even a social gathering, it’s always something that tends to be on my mind prior to actually going. I’ve learned in my 4 years of college, that this is normal and it will always work out! Rutgers—Camden is such a great place for meeting people and making friends because we’re so engaged and social. I was coming into college with some of the same friends I had in high school, which of course made me feel comfortable, but also made me feel like meeting new ones wasn’t as much of a priority. I was wrong. Getting out of my comfort zone is one of the best things I’ve done since going to college, and I know it will continue to help me in my future.

I’ve met friends in my classes, by joining clubs, attending big events on campus, at our campus Starbucks, and even the Rutgers—Camden app! I introduced them to my previous friends and new friends, and they did the same for me, and it was eventually just a very big group of friends, which I loved. I vividly remember, in my first week of class, I became friends with the girl sitting next to me in English, and I can’t even imagine what my college experience or life would be like if I hadn’t met her. Our tight knit campus makes it so easy to see familiar, happy faces every single day and that has always made me excited to come to campus, even on the days I was stressed or going into a big exam.

A great first opportunity to meet people would be our Raptor Welcome, which is essentially our orientation for incoming first year and transfer students. They have so many fun activities and opportunities for you to meet clubs and sign up on the spot (as well as all the free food and gifts, hehe)!

Joining the Raptor Ambassador Program introduced me to the most friends, and all of these people were so welcoming and excited. We have had so many good times between working big events on campus for prospective students, giving tours, or even playing games at our monthly meetings, and holding holiday parties, most of which I got the pleasure of planning. These people will be the hardest to say goodbye to after I graduate, but I’m so grateful for that experience during my time at Rutgers—Camden.

Lastly, don’t forget that I mentioned our Rutgers—Camden app! It’s like our very own exclusive Rutgers social media platform. People can get the word out about their clubs on there, post photos from campus, seek advice from fellow students or professors, check how long the Starbucks line is from our live Starbucks cam, or just go on there to talk and meet new people. It’s a great networking platform that benefits our campus in many ways!

If you’re worried about making friends, let me just remind you – don’t be! I was in your shoes once. And now my journey is coming to an end, and it sure is bittersweet. You will navigate your way, have so many chances to make friends and connections, and cherish your time here at Rutgers—Camden. I’m so excited for you!

Written by Shannon M, a Rutgers—Camden Undergraduate Student and Raptor Ambassador.