May 21, 2024

Environment is Key: Remote Learning Hacks

Remote learning for now is the new normal. Not only can it be difficult to adjust from high school to college but you have to do it like no other generation before. The switch from a college campus environment to remote environment can be challenging because of distractions. A helpful tip to avoid distractions while remote learning is to change up your environment every day Sitting at one place every single can get boring and bland. Here are my suggestions on where to conduct your remote learning:

1. Outside.
    The great outdoors is the perfect place for your remote learning especially now when the weather is starting to cool down a little. Now I’m not telling you to study in the woods somewhere. The outdoors could mean your backyard, your porch, or your balcony. Another option would be by the poolside! This offers a fresh environment for you to get your grind on.
  2. Dinner table.
    My dinner table is only used for special occasions such as Thanksgiving so you might as well use it as a study area. This is especially helpful when you have that big table all to yourself and you like having everything out in front of you.
  3. Office area.
    If you have an office area or a place that has a desk is probably the closest you are going to get to an actual classroom environment.
  4. Bedroom.
    This can be a good thing and a bad depending on your will power. A bedroom offers you comfort while you work but it can be too comfortable because you’re so tempted to fall asleep on that nice comfy bed.
  5. Living room.
    The living room offers a comfortable yet not too comfortable environment for remote learning. You have a comfy couch to work with but not as comfortable as a bed. Another pro to this is the floor. I usually sit on my floor and have everything laid out in front of me especially when I’m working with a lot of materials.

Having a good working environment while you are doing your work is key. It might be different for others so it is important to find out what works best for you. Keep focused on your goal and why you are in college in the first place. Best of luck!

Written by Philip E., a Rutgers—Camden Undergraduate Student and Raptor Ambassador.