May 3, 2024

Fall 2020: A Semester Like No Other

Fall 2020: A Semester Like No Other

If you told me a year ago that the fall 2020 semester would be done remotely, I definitely would not have believed you. This year has brought a lot of surprise, fear, and uncertainty. I have a vivid memory of walking on campus with a group of friends opening the email letting us know we’d be remote for at least two weeks after spring break. The spring was an adjustment to say the least. 

Ultimately, the fall came to be what it was: a mostly remote semester. As a campus and community, we had to adjust to this new virtual world. Courses, labs, clubs, and organizations all meeting remotely to get things done. While this semester has definitely been different (and not even nearing the scope of expectations), I’ve still learned a lot.

Through Rutgers and through all that has happened in the world, I feel like we’ve all had the opportunity for growth, and to appreciate the every-day things we may not have given a second thought to in the past. As a commuter student, I will never again take for granted the long days on campus trying to get some work done, as I miss doing most of my schoolwork at school. I miss seeing friends who I don’t see as often, saying hello to classmates and professors on campus, and making real-life connections with people. 

I’m performing okay this semester, but I just can’t help thinking about if I could have done better if we were in person. I’m someone who is a visual and auditory learner; I really benefit from learning material in class, and having that connection with my professors definitely makes a huge difference. Because that piece is missing this semester, I’ve had to change my “plan of attack” with difficult courses numerous times. While waiting on the edge of my seat for an exam grade isn’t exactly fun, I can’t ever complain again about how I don’t want to go to class, as we now know the alternative.

Fall 2020 has been one crazy semester, but we’ve learned a lot. I’ve definitely appreciated how communicative Rutgers—Camden has been, and how there is still a sense of community. There are still many questions to be asked and decisions to be made for the coming semesters, but there is hope. We know as a campus and a community we are able to make it through together, as we have made it through fall 2020, a semester like no other. 

Written by Katherine C., a Rutgers—Camden Undergraduate Student and Raptor Ambassador.