May 4, 2024

Advice to Freshmen From a Graduating Senior

The beginning of the college journey is an exciting and terrifying moment for many students. On one side, we are eager to have new experiences and meet new people. But, at the same time, we are worried about how difficult it may be to navigate this new stage in our lives on our own. If you find yourself in this situation, this post might be helpful. While I do not consider myself an expert on all things Rutgers, I do know something after spending four years of my life here. The following are the best pieces of advice I can give you to make the most of your first year as a Scarlet Raptor.    

Seek Help if You Need It

College is not easy, and you will certainly have some problems or difficulties along the road. So, don’t be ashamed of asking your professors, advisors, or friends for help. It is better to reach out to someone while you are struggling than to wait and do nothing. Rutgers—Camden has dedicated staff who can help with a wide range of troubles, including mental stressors, academic problems, and financial difficulties, among others. The Rutgers community wants to see every one of its members succeed, and they are always ready to support you.

Take Advantage of Campus Resources

There are dozens of free campus resources that are available to Rutgers students. Sadly, many students do not start using them until their senior year. I recommend taking advantage of all the resources offered through the Rutgers University system because not using them is a waste of your college tuition. Some of my favorite ones are career services, peer tutoring, and the gym membership.  

Avoid Procrastination

Since my first college semester, I have been trying to deal with procrastination. While I still submit some assignments at the last minute, I have improved a lot since freshman year. To effectively deal with this issue, I recommend using a planner (a paper planner or an online one) to keep track of classes, assignments, and personal responsibilities. I have found Google Calendar really useful to constantly keep track of what I have to do every day because I can have it on multiple devices simultaneously. Besides that, I also like to have old-fashioned sticky notes around my laptop to remind myself of things I need to take care of urgently.

Get Involved

Many students don’t like to get involved during their first semester because they want to focus on their classes. However, while having good grades is vital to be a successful college student, being involved with the campus community is also very important. For example, as a member of a student club, you can get access to a wide range of opportunities that are only available to members of that organization. Having a leadership position in a student organization also looks good in your resume because you can develop teamwork, organizational and interpersonal communication skills that employers highly value.  In addition, getting involved is also a great way to meet new people and make friends.

Reach Out to Your Professors

Professors are some of the best advisors and allies you can have throughout your four years at Rutgers. They know the ins and outs of your major and have access to massive networks that can help you find jobs, scholarships, and other opportunities. Besides, if you are thinking of doing research, your professors are the place to start. To get closer to your professors, I recommend communicating with them regularly, either in person or virtually by email or zoom. I also highly encourage you to go to office hours at least once a semester. Office hours are an excellent opportunity to interact and get to know your professors because they are free during that time, and no many students show up to talk with them.

Get Professional Experience

My final advice is to get some professional experience while you are in college. You don’t have to wait until you are in your last semester to start looking for internships or part-time jobs that provide you with experience and skills. If you are too busy during the school year, try to do internships during the summer when you don’t have classes. I also recommend taking advantage of the student’s jobs offered every semester throughout the university. They are a great opportunity to earn some money while getting prepared for your future career.

Written by Cris P., a Rutgers—Camden Undergraduate Student and Raptor Ambassador.