April 26, 2024

Helpful Tips For An In-person Semester

Helpful Tips For An In-person Semester

Now that Rutgers University is back in person for this fall, you may not have taken an in-person class before, or maybe it has been a long time. Since we have changed from an online environment to an in-person one, here are some tips to stay on top of things and stay ahead of the curve for the 2021-2022 school year.

• Write everything down. Whether it be electronically, on your phone/laptop, or handwritten in a planner, writing all of your goals/plans will help tremendously. I personally use a big planner that I keep in my backpack. I keep track of every assignment, my work schedule, events, and goals for the day. I also use an app called todoist, which helps with my to-do list for the day. I used to not write anything down and thought that I could remember everything, but as more things packed on I began to slip up and forget homework due dates. I realized something needed to change. By writing everything down, you can remove that feeling of uncertainty or that feeling you’re missing something. You won’t need to worry about missing anything if you build the habit of writing everything down!
  • Don’t overload your schedule. The worst mistake I made while at Rutgers was thinking that I could just fit everything into my schedule and it would work out. Overloading your schedule not only affects your performance in all of the things you are trying to do, but it affects your mental health as well. The stress and anxiety that come with poor time management can really take a toll on you. It can be too much. Make sure that you are realistic with your schedule and be honest with yourself.
  • Leave room for a social life. I know that classes can be rough, and with work and other activities a social life can sometimes seem unimportant. However, college is still the time to make memories that will last a lifetime. The battery that keeps us running does eventually run out, and with so much on your plate burnout can occur. Make sure to keep a social life throughout your semester. I know it can be hard, but having fun and relaxing in order to recharge your battery can lead to better performance in your classes and can help your mood throughout the week.

While all of these things sound pretty minuscule, these are all things I have found to drastically improve my grades and mental health. I spent much of my first semester anxious and behind. Find the planner that works for you and find the schedule that works for you. Not everything will be one size fits all, but once you find your groove it makes your entire life so much easier!