May 4, 2024

How to Stay Healthy in College

How to Stay Healthy in College

College is a stressful time in your life, many of us are living away from our parents for the first time, juggling classes, work, and activities, it’s natural that sometimes unhealthy habits can take root. It’s important to keep healthy bodies and minds to be successful in managing our busy schedules. Here are my tips for staying healthy and knocking those bad habits!

Exercise

Exercising is always at the top of my list when I think of ways to stay healthy. Our gym on campus is free to all Rutgers students! It’s fully equipped with everything you need for a great workout. Using the gym on campus is also a great opportunity to make friends and meet other students who may share similar fitness goals. Rutgers-Camden also offers free fitness classes for students. Coming up with a few workouts at your fitness level is a great way to get started on a healthy lifestyle. Whether you’re lifting weights or taking a walk on the treadmill, your body and mind will thank you.

Eating

I’m not a fan of “diet culture,” as I don’t eat that way myself, so I would never preach that to anyone. I believe in balance and knowing what you are putting into your body. Finding healthy, tasty recipes and meal prep ideas on Pinterest is my go-to! Tracking your macronutrients is also a good habit to get into and talking to the dietician on campus is a very good way to get started on this!

Find a Hobby

Being healthy doesn’t pertain only to physical health but to mental health, as well. Picking up a hobby that helps you wind down is a perfect way to destress. For me, this means reading a book, tending to my plants, painting, or even cleaning. I prefer hobbies that don’t involve screens, so I can avoid putting even more strain on my eyes. No matter what your hobby is, it’s important to have a way to destress and activity you can look forward to throughout your busy week.

Keep a Schedule

Making a set schedule for yourself will be a lifesaver in college. Use whatever you prefer, whether it be your calendar on your phone or a physical planner. Between classes, clubs, work, and assignments, it’s important to have something to keep yourself organized.  I have a $3 weekly planner from Target where I write my class schedule, clinical schedule, gym schedule, and all my assignments down. This helps me stay on track and allows me to see when I have free time to do my studying and anything else I may want to squeeze in!

I hope some of these tips will help you build healthy habits for success! No matter your fitness level, food preferences, or hobbies it is important to build healthy habits. What works for me may not work for everyone, but we have plenty of resources on campus available to help you find what works for you!