April 27, 2024

The Dos and Don’ts of Maintaining a 4.0

The Dos and Don’ts of Maintaining a 4.0
| Written by Alexis K. |

After doing so well in high school, I was scared to come to college. Everyone says the work is so much harder and the classes are more intense, so—naturally—I assumed the worst. Now, as I enter my third year of college, I can say that I’ve successfully maintained a 4.0 GPA for the first half of my undergraduate career, which is something I am very proud of. Keeping my grades perfect is not easy—it truly does take a lot of effort and hard work. This being said, as someone who has done it successfully thus far, I would like to give you some tips.

The “Dos”

1. DO be prepared for some culture shock.

What I mean by this is, the transition from high school to college is difficult and it shouldn’t be taken lightly. You cannot expect your high school studying habits to yield you the same grades in college as they did in high school. A lot of freshmen complete their first semester with a poor GPA because they are not adjusting their work habits to match the workload. Then they spend the next few semesters trying to get their GPA back up. To avoid all of that, just be aware of the transition and what it requires from the start and change your habits accordingly. One thing I definitely was not prepared for was how many papers I was going to write. It seemed like every single class had at least one-to-two papers due a week. I barely wrote any papers in high school so it took me as well as a lot of my friends a while to adjust to that.

2. DO keep up on your work.

I know this seems obvious, but there will be times when you do not feel like going over the assigned reading, or times when you will forget about the homework that was due. Do whatever you can to stay organized and on top of all the things you have due. Professors will have no shame in assigning a 60-page chapter and expecting you to have it read in the next two days, which can be overwhelming (especially when you have work assigned by other professors to complete, as well). I like to keep a planner and also have a giant whiteboard up in my room. At the beginning of each week I put all my assignments and due dates up and check off tasks as I complete them. This helps me hold myself accountable for my work and keeps me up-to-date. Most professors give you a syllabus the first week of classes with all your due dates for bigger assignments. It is a great resource to keep around because it has all the dates on one paper.

3. DO talk to your professors.

One thing I specifically remember from high school was all of the teachers saying, “College professors will not deal with this! They aren’t lenient! They will not care.” This is highly inaccurate, at least for the professors I have come across here at Rutgers–Camden. The professors here do care, and very much so. They want you to succeed and help you succeed in any way they can. In extenuating circumstances, most of them will let you make up tests, use your excused absences, or turn in work late within certain limitations. They understand that life happens and are willing to work with you. All professors also have office hours and they love when students come by to get help or just to talk. If a professor sees you are struggling and you actually go to get help, that shows them that you’re putting in effort to improve and they do take things like that into consideration. I have become very close with one of my psychology professors, Dr. Cavanaugh. I went to her office hours numerous times just to chat because she used to be a Clinical Psychologist, which is what I hope to be once I finish my schooling. Because we have become so close, she has trusted me to become an assistant in her lab, has appointed me as Psi Chi President, and has written me an awesome letter of recommendation for a scholarship.

4. DO participate in class.

If you are the type of person who does not like speaking in class—I hate to break it to you, but—you probably will not be able to get that 4.0 GPA. Professors love when student participate, and—95% of the time—classes will require a participation component to your grade. Participating in class not only makes you stand out to the professor, but it also helps you work through your questions and understanding of the material. If you really have a problem speaking up, ask your professor if there are other ways you can show your participation.

The “Don’ts”

1. DON’T take shortcuts or do the bare minimum.

If there is homework that a professor assigns but they say they aren’t going to check it, you’re probably going to try to avoid doing it. These professors are not assigning work for their benefit, they’re doing it with your best interest in mind. I took an algebra math course and our homework was never checked or graded; however, I learned rather quickly that if I didn’t do it, I was not understanding our material. I made sure that every night I did at least some of the problems assigned so I was sure of the work. Many professors also assign extra credit assignments, and you may think, “Nah, I don’t need that,” but trust me, anything can help. That one assignment can push you from a C to a B or a from a B to an A, so take advantage of those opportunities!

2. DON’T wait until the last second for anything.

I know it seems all too tempting to put things off when you can. You may only have a class once or twice a week, so you think, “Let me wait until the night before I have class again.” Well, let me tell you, that gets real old really fast. If you don’t finish your assignments before the night before class, at the very least, start them. By putting a few sentences on the page or doing a few math problems a few days before the assignment is due, you will at least have something to spring off of when you go to finish the rest of it. Waiting until the night before is not going to cut it anymore and your grades will reflect that. I immediately noticed my procrastination habit and put it to a stop by spending the majority of my free time in the library forcing myself to do assignments ahead of time. Once I got into the habit of doing so, I was less stressed and producing better quality work.

3. DON’T be distracted during class.

Many professors let us use our laptops or tablets in class, and it can sometimes be very tempting to open up social media or online shop, while simultaneously taking notes. You think you may be retaining the information, but—in all reality—you aren’t because you’re distracted. It is a known fact that handwriting notes helps you to better retain the information you’re recording. Even though we are usually allowed to have laptops out, I try to avoid using one because I know how easily distracted I can become.

4. DON’T avoid help.

If you are struggling with the course material, get help! All professors are required to have office hours, which is a time when they’re free to talk to students one-on-one. Go to their office if you need help; most professors are more than willing to sit down and do whatever they can to help you understand the work. If a professor is too intimidating, then check out the Learning Center in Armitage Hall. The Learning Center offers free tutoring for-students, by-students who have previously taken the course and received an A grade. Rutgers–Camden offers so many great services for students who’re struggling. If you feel as though your grades are slipping because of your mental state or something going on outside of school, check out the psychological services that Health Services offers.

These are some of the great and valuable lessons I have learned throughout my first half of college, so I hope these tips help you keep your grades high!